Corona Virus, Sars-CoV-2, also known as Covid-19, is a rapidly spreading virus across the entire world, causing a well deserved concern. Sadly, the numbers of people contract this disease, will rise before this virus is contained. It is very important to get reliable information about what is happening, and how you can protect yourself and loved ones.
There is a lot of news, “remedies” and conspiracy theories that can and have created panic, hoarding and even death. Misinformation is everywhere, from Facebook to You Tube and even the leaders of our country are giving false information. Conspiracy theories and unfounded claims are surfacing all over the internet. Heck, a person that I love and respect sent me a video claiming that putting a hair drying up my nose for 5 minutes at a time will kill the virus. A little research proved that this was a hoax!
Below are a list of reliable on line sources for getting factual information about the new coronavirus (COVID-19):
- Anything supported by the CDC and the WHO, which just added a myth buster section to their page.
- Medline Plus , from the National Library of Medicine
- the UK’s National Health Service
- The US Food and Drug Administration
- Major news outlets with deep expertise in health reporting, such as The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Boston Globe’s STAT News.
(all of these sources came from Robert H Shmerling, MD, Faculty Editor, Harvard Health Publishing).
A lot about this disease is unknown, therefore, seeking out proper information when doing research, and following this instruction is very important. Please avoid the people sending hoaxes!